Historically, the bascinet was designed to help do away with cumbersome and unwieldy Great helmets. This French Bascinet Sports Helm with Wire Mask, based on a French design, is made to maneuverable and effective, as well as highly protective. In that regard, this helmet lives up to the reputation of the early bascinet, being much more open and easier to use than the great helmet. The open faced design ensures good circulation, while the higher, peaked skull cap helps to guide blows down the side of the helm and away from the face and crown, providing a greater level of protection than its Great Helm predecessor. This helmet offers the wire mask front, which was a common feature tournament helms, even during the medieval days. The wire mask offers the benefit of good protection for the face, without obstructing the view, impeding the wearers breathing, or even limiting ventilation in any way. The helmet is made entirely in heavy 14 gauge steel, which makes it thick enough to take a beating in reenactment, SCA, LARP, or any other field event. For the warrior who wants solid protection when they take to the field, either in practice or in a tourney, there are not many helms that can compare to the protective potential and the knightly appeal of this French Bascinet Sports Helm with Wire Mask.
- An Iconic Medieval Era Helmet Design
- Crafted Entirely from 14 Gauge Steel
- Features a Thick Steel Wire Mask for Facial Protection
- Offers Great Protection to the Head From Above
- Ideal for Costuming, as well as For Combat, SCA Events, and Reenactment
- Perfect for Medieval Knights and Warriors
- Also a Great Display Piece and Collectible